Multiple citizens have experienced items disappearing from their car recently. The Service de police de Châteauguay (SPC) confirms that a number of these events were reported in the area in the last few weeks. She reminds the public to be careful to prevent the unfortunate situation.
Le Soleil questioned the police after seeing some testimonies about items stolen from cars on social media.
Jenny Lavigne, spokesperson for the SPC indicates that every week, about two robberies of that kind are reported. She, however, doesn’t consider it as a wave of out of the ordinary.
“We notice that often, the car’s doors are left unlocked”, she specifies.
- Park your car in a busy place where there is light, or in your garage if you have one;
- Always turn off the vehicle and keep your keys, even when going quickly to the convenience store or the gas station;
- Always lock your car doors and windows;
- Equip your vehicle with a security device like an alarm system, safety bar or anti-starter system;
- Don’t leave any valued items in sight in the car, like money, a computer, or a GPS.
Police also reminds citizens who witness a robbery that they should call 911 and not to intervene if the misdeed is happening.